Homelessness services across NSW can plan well into the future to deliver expert support services to vulnerable women, men and young people following the Government’s decision to renew service contracts through to 2020.
Minister for Family and Community Services and Social Housing, Brad Hazzard, told a forum of more than 70 CEOs and leaders from homelessness services today that the Government appreciated the sector had undergone significant reform in recent years and needed more time to consolidate and integrate its services.
“The Government has listened to the very strong advocacy of Domestic Violence NSW, Homelessness NSW and Yfoundations that the sector needs certainty to deliver the best outcomes for the homeless in NSW,” Mr Hazzard said.
“As well as certainty, homelessness services need the best collaborative relationships and the Government will also evaluate the current Joint Working Agreements to see just how well they are working.”
Providers are currently contracted through to June 2017. The renewal to 2020 includes Government-funded homelessness services delivered through the Specialist Homelessness Services program, the Inner City Restoration Fund and the Service Support Fund (SSF). The SSF renewals are subject to a review of district priorities and the willingness of providers to vary their service delivery where required.
Under this approach:
- · Service scope and value of contracts may be amended via direct negotiation with providers to meet local service needs.
- · Extensions will only be offered to services which demonstrate they are meeting performance requirements.
- · Re tendering will be considered on a case by case basis only if a service package changes significantly or if a provider has not performed adequately.
Mr Hazzard said the new contracts will progressively link funding to outcome measures and consultation with the sector is needed in order to get this approach right.
The SkillBot and Safe Around Me apps were Friday 21st November at Merimbula RSL.
SkillBot’s aim is to provide handy living skills information that demystifies many of the processes and steps to accessing, understanding and utilising services within communities.
The Safe Around Me app provides direct support and information to people who have experienced or are experiencing domestic and family violence.
This exciting project was designed for women to learn how to use tools and acquire basis skills in woodwork. The aim of the four week project was to design and build a set of shelves from pallets. The participants were taught how to use various tools including a hammer, saw, plane, mallet, chisel and drill.
The shelves have been completed and look fantastic.
Information on the Barb the Builder project
introduction to the video
The National Plan to Reduce Violence against Women and their Children 2010-22 (the National Plan) is a 12-year strategy which aims to bring together Commonwealth, state and territory government efforts, as well as the important work being done by civil society, the business sector and the Australian community more broadly to make a sustained reduction in the levels of violence against women and their children.
The Commonwealth Government wants to hear your ideas for action we can take at a national level to embed what has been achieved so far, fill gaps and strengthen implementation of the National Plan.
If you would like to make a written submission or for more information about the National Plan, visit The National Plan to reduce violence against women and their children web site:
50 Parker Street, Bega, NSW 2550
SEWACS Main Office
02 6492 2088
Staying Home Leaving Violence
02 6492 6239
South East Youth Accommodation Services
02 6492 2223
Eurobodalla Domestic and Family Violence Program
02 4474 3226